Saturday 31 October 2015

Halloween / Samhain

Initially I thought to make this post a poem. However, if you have ever seen any of my poetry you will realise that poetry is not my forte. I am going through a rough patch at the moment and as part of my climb out of it is to do something creative every day. This blog post is my creative bit for Halloween or as it is also known from Celtic times as Samhain.

The Honoured Dead

The past belongs to you, on your shoulders I stand. You may have passed in war and conflict and may have died in courage or cowardice. Your passing my have been peaceful for which I am glad, I have seen suffering and pain as people have passed and wish that on nobody. You were there before. You are my ancestor.

I am not responsible for the person that you were, your actions or your attitudes may be used by others to give a picture of who I am. This is not true, I am responsible for my own actions, my own attitudes and beliefs. What is important is that you were there and contributed to me being here.

For today I celebrate that you existed. That by being there I am here. For this I am grateful.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. If you celebrate Samhain many blessings to you. If you are enjoying Halloween raise a glass to your ancestors in the midst of your revelry.

Kind regards
St.John

No comments:

Post a Comment