Tuesday 15 December 2015

Books part one

Having time on my hands and to take my mind off a few things I have been reading. There are various books that I have on the go and they are all of different subjects. I am even writing or continuing to write a book and a screen play. The writing is a form of therapy, I am told that being creative can help me.

I have always been a big reader. I think nothing of reading the Lord of the Rings Trilogy and have done so several times. That is generally my preferred genre, namely fantasy but I do enjoy science fiction as well. I have also been known to read biographies, usually looking for inspiration for life and these include Sir Clive Woodward and Ben Carson. Then there are books about business including Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki, Leading an Life by Jim Rohn amongst many others. I also enjoy history and this includes folk-lore, anything from the Anglo Saxons, Vikings and Celtic peoples and the myths and legends that surround them. Cosmology and astronomy (not to be confused with astrology which I do not believe in) are also on my reading list but I do admit that the maths behind the former baffles me. Last but not least is spirituality, this can be anything from Catholicism to Shinto. I tend not to read about things like Satanism, it does not interest me and to be honest I don't get it.

The following is the brief thoughts about the books that I am currently reading and from the title you will note that this is part one, there will be more exactly when is anybodies guess.

The first book I am reading is a fantasy book. Unless you have been hiding under a rock you will have heard of the TV series Game of Thrones this is based on a series of books by George R. R. Martin. I finished the first book back in the Spring of this year (2015) and in preparation bought the second instalment called "A Clash of Kings." I started reading this in April and just about managed to get past page 100 by the end of November. I just could not get into it and that really and I mean really irritates me. So having time on my hands (and a serious need for escapism) I set to reading this book. I am now over half way through and while I would not describe it as one of those books you aren't able to put down it is marvellous how one person can imagine something this complex and keep the story going without any mistakes in the plot. In reading about the books on line it is also apparent that there is even more complexity that I have missed and will need to read them again. Very impressive. I'd give it an 8 out of ten.

Number two is "The Book of English Magic" by Philip Carr-Gomm and Richard Heygate. I live in England and there is a conceit held by many English and even British people that there is something uniquely special about these islands. This book explores some of the history behind this sense by looking at the mysterious and uncanny beliefs that people here have held. It even tells you how to do things like dowsing and carving runes. It is easy to read but not a page turner, I read this occasionally. I'd give this one a 7 out of ten.

The last book I am currently reading is a business book called "GoPro" by Eric Worre. Unless you are in a Network Marketing business then this book is not for you. It is basically an instruction manual that gives the reader tips on how to build their business. It is also generic, and by that I mean not tied to any particular company so the tips and strategies can be used by anyone in any multi-level marketing business. This one I score a 9 out of 10.

The books above can be found at your local independent book store (if you can find one), Waterstones, Amazon and if you are in MLM/Network Marketing and are looking for business books or material about personal development then Knowledge is King is a good source of those books.

I really appreciate you reading this blog. Please feel free to comment.

Kind regards
St.John

No comments:

Post a Comment