Sunday 20 December 2015

Jurassic World my take

I have seen and heard various film critics wax lyrical about various films having a hidden meaning and what those meanings are. Some of these are actually confirmed by the director but most appear to be opinions.

Now sometimes these are fairly obvious and I must admit that if this not the case I tend not to worry about it. For me films are about entertainment.

Spoiler Alert! If you haven't already seen the film there are some significant spoilers below. You have been warned.

I have just finished watching Jurassic World and was hit by the allegory that appeared to me in that film. Now I have not seen any commentary about this work so this is my take on this and should not be taken as what the makers were trying to get at.


This logo is copyright of the appropriate parties
, Jurassic world is available from Amazon
Play.com,HMV and other retailers.

I was unable to see the film at the cinema so had to wait until it came out on DVD release. Well I watched it and enjoyed it, probably not as much as Jurassic Park but it was worth it. I'd give it a 7 out of 10. I've not written anything like this before so comments and questions are welcome.

To me this is an allegory of current employment practices. The Director of the park (upper management) sees and refers to the dinosaur exhibit as resources, things to be used which is true today of many employees.

These resources are not living things but numbers on a spreadsheet and this is mentioned in the film. The ultimate resource is a new genetically created dinosaur which is a metaphor for new but adverse working conditions. This resource creates chaos and requires those with special training - the raptors (human resources) to take the beastie down.

The trainer of the raptors immediately realises that this new beastie is not a good thing, he represents company policy, the rules and regulations that dictate how employer deals with employee and vice versa.

But if you notice, the raptors are only just under control, this refers to interpretation of policy and will turn on you given the slightest opportunity. They then join in with the beastie having realised that they have something in common. It is not until they again meet up with the trainer that they realise that there is something wrong and turn on the big beastie and get a good hiding.

It isn't until the old work force (T-Rex) is brought in that the tide turns and the big beastie is fed to the shark eating big alligator (namely the lawyers, though of course some would see this as a mixed metaphor but hey I didn't write the film).

The two children represent the effects that this has on the workforce, and those effects are not initially apparent when the beastie gets loose.

So what do you think. Have I interpreted the underlying theme of the film or am I way out? Seriously I'd love to hear your comments.

Thanks for reading

Kind regards
St.John

No comments:

Post a Comment